Indian Institute of Astrophysics (IIA) is a premier national center for research and development in observational astronomy, theoretical astrophysics and related physics. The main campus of the institute is in Koramangala, Bangalore. It operates observational facilities at Kodaikanal, Kavalur, Gauribidanur and Hanle over a wide range of electromagnetic spectrum, and experimental facilities at its campus in Hosakote near Bangalore. The institute is also participating in national and international development projects on ground-based as well as space-borne observational facilities.
With the aim of motivating students from colleges and universities across the country for research, IIA has instituted various programmes. As part of this, IIA organizes a summer programme every year, wherein students are exposed to research in Astronomy and Astrophysics. This year the program will be held offline school at kso during 22 - 30 May, 2023. A separate online school is also planned from May 31 to June 3, 2023.
One can apply for both or one of the above by logging into application portal. Offline school has limited seats (around 40). Selected students will be given accommodation, food and local transport during the summer school.
The program will consist of lectures, tutorials and demonstrations. To this effect, applications (online only) are invited from students who are in the pre-final year of their M.Sc/Integrated M.Sc./Integrated BS-MS (in Physics/Astronomy)/B.E/B.Tech. for the Summer Programme.
Who can apply?
The students who:
- are currently pursuing their M.Sc./M.Tech/B.Tech. degree and will be completing by June 2023 in the disciplines of Astronomy/Physics/Mathematics/Engineering .
- have successfully completed their M.Sc./M.Tech/B.Tech. degree during the year 2022 in the disciplines of astronomy/Physics/Mathematics/Engineering.
- Around 40 students will be selected for offline summer school. Shortlisting based on their academic records and motivation to attend the school.
What you will gain from the summer school
Selected students will get exposure on the topics (below) from IIA faculties who are doing frontier research in the field of astrophysics and astronomy. This will help them to build required knowledge to do research in astrophysics and astronomy.
- Solar Physics
- Star & Interstellar medium
- Galaxies & Intergalactic medium
- Astronomical Instrumentation
- GR and Cosmology